Monday, April 25, 2011

Livestrong today and everyday

The first thing that came to mind for an organization with values is Livestrong. Since I was in gradeschool I remember everyone wearing those yellow bracelets. Back when I was 10 years old, I never really knew what the bracelets even meant..I just knew everyone was wearing them. Obviously now that I am much older and wiser I understand what the bracelets stand for. Livestrong is an organization that gives inspiration to people affected by cancer. There mission statement states "At LIVESTRONG, our mission is to inspire and empower people affected by cancer. We do this by working to transform cancer care and policy and by fighting for people affected by cancer around the world. Most importantly, we strive to give cancer survivors hope. Hope that cancer does not have to be a death sentence and hope that survivors can live well beyond cancer." It is also amazing how much this organization has evolved. At first the organization focused on patients with testicular cancer(since the founder of the organization was Lance Armstrong), however the organization has grown to include all types of cancer. As someone who knows a few people who have died of cancer(my friend's little brother, my mom's friend), this organization is very instrumental in giving cancer patients a positive outlook and a network of support. It gives patients the energy and fire to keep fighting their disease. Livestrong is a really unique organization in that patients can participant in runs, walks, and triathlons. These events show these patients that if they can finish the race, they can also beat cancer. Nothing is impossible if you have a good attitude.

This video I found below is very inspirational. It shows how Livestrong has helped many people keep their head in the game when it comes to beating cancer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feXOVkDp-Rw

No comments:

Post a Comment