Thursday, May 5, 2011

Congruence in the Greek Community-fact or fiction?

The activity we did during our class week was really enlightening. For the most part, the Greeks I enterviewed gave me the "cookie cutter" answers(ohhhhh yeah service is one of our top priorities when in actuality it's getting hammered). A few of the people I think were actually congruent in their chapters beliefs, their personal beliefs, and how they act and reflect those beliefs, but I would say a majority of the people were telling me what they thought I wanted to hear or they might have been scared I would judge them... I thought it was funny how one of my friends was like do you want me to tell you the ACTUAL truth or do you want me to lie? From this, I think I have learned something positive. I think as a Greek community we sometimes get offended by the stereotypes that are thrusted upon us, but I think sometimes we do actually prove those stereotypes right(being a drunk fool one night). As a whole, I don't agree that those stereotypes accurately portray Greek life because Greek life is about scholarship, philanthropy, sisterhood/brotherhood, leadership, etc.(these are some of the things I got from my interviews). As a community we should unite and work together to highlight these positive aspects of Greek life. As seen through many of the mission statements of the chapters, we all share common goals and ideals. If we all reflect back on our roots, our common bonds can hopefully bring us together.

1 comment:

  1. I think it is important to note that you recognize the reasons behind stereotypes. I mean, stereotypes are base on the feelings someone has for a certain situation or a group of people. I think that it is certainly something that the Greek Community at OSU can work on. It might be a benefit that we are a smaller group, and may make it easier to change people's ways.

    ReplyDelete